Elizabeth McCullagh, Assistant Professor.
Autism, Neurobiology, Sound Localization, Model Organisms
MS, 2008 Virginia Tech, PhD, 2014 University of Illinois Chicago
I focus on understanding how the brain processes sound information. Specifically, I look at the 3 key areas:
- Understanding how different organisms process sound information based on their physiology, environment, genetics, and other factors.
- Using autism, aging and other changes that occur to the brain to understand how processing is different in those conditions as well as to understand the basic circuitry and how it functions.
- Modern techniques to manipulate the circuits involved in sound source processing to better understand the circuitry involved.
- McCullagh EA*, Poleg S, Greene NT, Huntsman MM, Tollin DJ, Klug A (2019) Auditory binaural and spatial hearing impairments in a Fragile X Syndrome mouse model. bioRxiv:648717. *corresponding author
- Cheng S, Fu Y, Zhang Y, Xian W, Wang H, Grothe B, Lu X, Xu X, Klug A, McCullagh EA* (2019) De novo assembly of the Mongolian gerbil genome and transcriptome. bioRxiv:522516. *corresponding author
- Wang PK, Pun SH, Chen CH, McCullagh EA, Klug A, Li AA, Mang V, Mak PU, and T Lei. 2019. Real-time neural spike sorting system based on template matching, PLOS One, under review
- McCullagh EA*, Nowak K, Pogoriler A, Metcalf JL, Zaringhalam M, Zelikova TJ (2019) Request a woman scientist: A database for diversifying the public face of science. PLoS Biol 17:e3000212. *corresponding author
- McCullagh EA*, Salcedo E, Huntsman MM, Klug A. 2017. Tonotopic alterations in inhibitory input to the medial nucleus of the trapezoid body in a mouse model of Fragile X syndrome. Journal of Comparative Neurology. 262(3):375. doi:10.1002/cne.24290. *corresponding author
- Gantois I, Khoutorsky A, Popic J, Aguilar-Valles A, Freemantle E, Cao R, Sharma V, Pooters T, Nagpal A, Skalecka A, Truong VT, Wiebe S, Groves IA, Jafarnejad SM, Chapat C, McCullagh EA, Gamache K, Nader K, Lacaille JC, Gkogkas CG, Sonenberg N. Metformin ameliorates core deficits in a mouse model of fragile X syndrome. Nature Medicine. 2017 May 15. doi: 10.1038/nm.4335. PubMed PMID: 28504725.
- Chen C, McCullagh EA, Pun SH, Mak PU, Vai MI, Klug A, and T Lei. 2017. An integrated circuit for simultaneous extracellular electrophysiology recording and optogenetic neural manipulation. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (TBME). March; 64(3).
- McCullagh EA, Cristol, DA, and JB Phillips. 2015. Plumage color and reproductive output of eastern bluebirds (Sialia sialis) nesting near a mercury-contaminated river, Journal of Environmental Health and Science Part A, 50(10):1020-1028.
- McCullagh EA and DE Featherstone. 2014. Behavioral changes in system xc- mice, Behavioral Brain Research, 265: 1-11.